Disclaimer

My thoughts tend to rattle around in my brain until I ramble them out here, so beware of the rambling...it may not make any sense at all!


Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Problem of Pain

Do you think if Adam and Eve had never sinned, that the human race would know what pain was? Of course, we know that sin would have entered the world eventually because we were given a free will and somewhere down the road that will would have chosen poorly. But supposing it hadn't, supposing sin had never entered the world, would there be pain? In other words, is pain a result or a byproduct of sin? At first thought, I would say of course it is. Look at the curses God meted out to the original sinners. To Adam, hard work, an unforgiving earth full of throns and tough soil, as Genesis 3:17-19 says, "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life...By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food..." To Eve, the physical pain of childbearing coupled with the emotional pain of longing for a husband and having him rule over her. But then if you look more closely at the curse given to Eve in Genesis 3:16, God says, "I will greatly increase your pain in childbearing." The Hebrew word for increase, rabah, means multiply or make great. So, that makes me wonder, was pain already there or at least the potential of it without sin, before sin?

What do you think?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I don't think pain is punishment, I think it is a warning. It's the body's way of telling us when we are in danger. Just my initial thoughts...