
Procrastination
On the floor of my room, piles of Spanish projects collected over the last two weeks are awaiting my attention. So far, I have made a small dent in the work, but there is so much more to be done. And what did I do yesterday? I read a book, washed dishes, played softball, visited with family...basically everything but grade these papers. How hypocritical of me that I get on to my students for not turning in their work on time when I can't get it back to them in a reasonable amount of time. Oh, I'll get it done. I always do, but I'll have to sacrifice some sleep time and will probably end up not doing as good a job of giving them feedback as I would have if I had really sat down and applied myself to the task this weekend.
So, why do we procrastinate? Am I alone in this habit? Is it a maturity thing? A personality thing? A sin? What do you think?
3 comments:
Ok, so I finished my grading and it didn't take as long as I thought it would. I still wonder about the whole procrastination thing. I know I'm not lazy. I am distractable, though. :) I've read in an article somewhere that procrastination can be linked to perfectionism. If you can't do the whole job just right, you might as well not start, is the mentality behind that one. Another contributor to procrastination is a plate that is too full. A feeling of overwhelmedness at the number of tasks or the size of the tasks can cause a breakdown in the motivation to even begin. Anyway, those are my thoughts after mulling over the subject all day today. Still wanna know what y'all think.
I usually procrastinate when it comes to things I don't want to do. For example, if I need a new pair of shoes, I will not procrastinate. But if I need to work on something related to my duties as Bayou Woods Condominium Association Treasurer, it will get put off until the very last minute. I will dread it the entire time, which is why I should go ahead and just get it over with, but I don't want to, so I don't. Instead I go shoe shopping, even if I don't need a new pair of shoes.
Exactly! It's only those tasks I dread that I procrastinate on...when I want to do something, I tend to rush to do it. Hmmm...
Post a Comment