Disclaimer

My thoughts tend to rattle around in my brain until I ramble them out here, so beware of the rambling...it may not make any sense at all!


Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Will There be a Test Over This?

One of the most frustrating questions a teacher gets asked by students is "Will there be a test over this?" as if we were just telling them stuff for fun, not to actually educate them. My answer usually goes something like this, "No, I just thought y'all would be interested in conjugating irregular stem-changing verbs in the preterite, so I decided to put some up on the board for you" (I teach Spanish).

Despite my frustration with such questions, I've found myself doing the same thing to God. Have you ever noticed that when God wants to teach you something, you hear it over and over again from different sources in a short period of time? The pastor's sermon will be about that, then also the Sunday school lesson, then you'll read something on your own or a friend will call and say something similar. It's like "Ok, God, I'm listening!!"

But, then I'm always surprised when He puts what He's teaching me to the test. Lately He's been working on me in the areas of faith and contentment. No, actually, contentment isn't the right word. He wants me to have joy in the circumstances in which He's placed me and trust Him for everything. I've been learning how truly small my faith actually is. It's scary, in fact. Sunday school this week, my small group Bible study, a book I just read, several conversations with friends and this morning, an e-mail forward from Granddaddy have all been saying the same thing: "Trust Me."

Ok, God, I will trust you...but, will there be a test over this?

2 comments:

AyDubb said...

Karla, I too have been smacked over the head recently with this, and small group actually sealed it for me. I'd like to think I can learn from the cliff notes, but know deep inside I need the full lesson. The test is coming, but pop quizzes do happen along the way.

Erin said...

I'm currently in the middle of the test. So, yes, the test is coming! But the good news is, I'm finding that if you have been dwelling in God's presence and His Word, the test isn't quite as hard as you feared it would be.